What is the difference between MCE financial aid and federal financial aid?

MCE financial aid includes Dean’s Scholarship awards, GTA and GRA appointments, and MCE Fellowships; these are all managed by the MCE Financial Aid office. For questions regarding MCE financial aid, contact James Banman at (303)871-6291 or via email at

Federal financial aid sources include Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Perkins Loans, Work-Study awards, Grad Plus Loans, and Teach Grants. All federal financial aid is managed by the central DU Office of Financial Aid, located in University Hall #255. For assistance with your federal financial aid, contact a Graduate Financial Aid Advisor at (303)871-4020 or via email at

How does financial aid work for international students?

International students are not normally eligible to receive Federal Financial Aid. A student must be either a U.S. citizen or national, a U.S. permanent resident, or eligible noncitizen to receive Federal Financial Aid. Citizens of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Palau, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands can receive aid from some of the FSA programs. Eligibility for Federal Financial Aid is determined by the DU Office of Financial Aid.

International students who receive full funding to attend the University of Denver from an external agency are not eligible for MCE Dean’s Scholarship.

For more information on international student admissions visit DU Visa page.

Can I get financial aid if I attend classes in the Summer term?

Summer quarter is considered a separate term for federal financial aid and Summer quarter will have a separate Cost of Attendance (COA) budget from the traditional academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters). You may spread your MCE Dean’s Scholarship over the summer quarter by contacting the MCE Financial Aid Office at (303) 871-6291.

A separate application for Summer financial aid is available in early April from the central DU office of Financial Aid.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact: Banman, James

How To Apply

How do I apply for financial aid?

There are two primary types of aid; federally funded financial aid and Morgridge College of Education (MCE) aid. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal financial aid (federally funded student loans and work-study).

You are considered for college funded financial aid from MCE at the time of admittance; you do not need to complete a separate application to be considered for MCE aid. MCE financial aid can include scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships.

How do I apply for MCE Scholarships?

You are considered for all MCE funded scholarships at the time of admittance; there is no additional application required. MCE Dean’s Scholarships are awarded to incoming scholars based on academic merit and can be awarded for one year or up to three years in some degree programs. There are a limited number of competitive MCE merit scholarships offered that have unique eligibility criteria and rolling selection and awarding periods.

How do I submit a FAFSA? What is the deadline to submit a FAFSA?

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal financial aid that includes federally funded student loans, grants, and work-study.

Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.govDU School Code is 001371. Deadline to submit a FAFSA is June 30.

*NOTE* Some MCE programs (TEP, ELPS) have a summer quarter start date and will require the prior year FAFSA submission.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact: Banman, James

Grants and Scholarships

Can I get more scholarships than I was awarded by MCE?

External scholarship resources are available from a variety of funding sources. Visit the DU Scholarship Search tool to find additional funding opportunities.

There are a limited number of competitive MCE merit scholarships available as well. Award amounts, eligibility criteria, and application materials are unique to each opportunity.

If you are facing severe and extraordinary financial hardship, limited one-time scholarship funding may be available under certain limited circumstances. Guidelines and eligibility criteria are outlined in the MCE Supplemental Scholarship Policy available to current MCE students on the portfolio site.  Please contact your Department Chair or MCE Financial Aid Office for further details.

How does my MCE Dean’s Scholarship work?

MCE Dean’s Scholarship awards are divided evenly across quarters in the academic year. Typically, a Dean’s Scholarship award is divided evenly between Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. If your program’s coursework progression requires summer quarter enrollment, your Dean’s Scholarship award will be spread evenly over four quarters. If you will be enrolled in coursework over the summer quarter, please contact MCE Financial Aid to request reallocation of your scholarship to include summer quarter prior to the start of the term.

What if I am eligible for employee tuition waiver discount?

Benefitted DU employees are not eligible to receive MCE Dean’s Scholarship along with employee tuition waiver.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact: Banman, James

GTA, GRA, & Fellowships

How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship (GTA/GRA)?

MCE awarded over 120 GTA and GRA appointments in 2014/15 and 98 GTA and GRA appointments in 2015/16. Graduate Assistantship duties can include teaching, research, or administration. Application and eligibility requirements vary by department. Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) and Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) open positions are posted on the MCE Student Employment/Research opportunities page.

How many work hours are required for at GRA or GTA position?

  • .25 or quarter-time appointment works 5 hours per week
  • .50 or half-time appointment works 10 hours per week
  • 00 or full-time GA appointment works 20 hours per week

GAs are expected to be available to work, depending on their award, any day that the university is open. This might include, but is not limited to, Interterm. Their exact schedule is determined by their faculty/staff supervisor and should be discussed prior to the student formally accepting the position.

What is the compensation for a Graduate Assistantship position?

GTA positions are 100% college funded and GRA positions are primarily grant funded. GTA and GRA positions receive both a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend (paycheck).   Current year compensation schedules and further details can be found in the MCE Graduate Assistant Handbook.

 How do I find out more about Graduate Assistantships?

Please refer to the MCE Graduate Assistant Handbook for further information.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact: Banman, James

Leave of Absence, Deferment, & Adjustments

What happens if I defer my matriculation into MCE?

Students who defer matriculation into MCE will forfeit the MCE financial aid offered at the time of acceptance.  Upon notification to the MCE Office of Admissions of the intention to enroll the following academic period, an offer of financial aid may be made for the academic year in which the student actually enters the degree program.

What is a Cost of Attendance (COA) Budget Adjustment?

When you applied for financial aid, you were assigned a Cost of Attendance (COA) based on the typical enrollment of students in your program. This COA—which is listed on your award letter—represents the maximum amount of aid (including loans) you can receive for the year. At the end of the 100% add/drop period each quarter, we must verify your enrollment and, if necessary, make adjustments to your COA and financial aid.

MCE students’ cost of attendance is based on the assumption that you will be enrolled in 7-9 credits each quarter of the 2015-2016 academic year. If that number is accurate, no further action is required. If you know that you will be enrolled in less than 7 or more than 9 credits, however, there are additional steps you should take now to ensure we make the appropriate adjustments before classes begin in the fall.

If you will be enrolled in less than 7 credits per quarter please submit the Enrollment Adjustment Form. If you only know what your enrollment will be for the fall quarter, that’s OK—you can submit the form again for winter and/or spring quarters if you need to. Once submitted, we will reduce your Cost of Attendance to reflect your actual enrollment; this will also decrease your loan eligibility. Submitting this form now will help ensure that you won’t have to pay back a portion of your loan funds after fall classes have started.

If you will be enrolled in more than 9 credits per quarter you may want to consider submitting the Enrollment Adjustment Form. If you aren’t sure of your enrollment plans for winter or spring quarters, feel free to only indicate the number of credits you plan to take in the fall. Once submitted, we will increase the tuition and technology fee components of your Cost of Attendance, and you will then be eligible to borrow additional loan funding (if desired) to help cover your higher tuition costs.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact: Banman, James

Copyright © 2018 University of Denver. | All rights reserved. | The University of Denver is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution