When does the program start? Can I begin anytime?
  • Most programs begin each year in Fall Quarter which is typically the first or second week of September. Some programs, such as the Teacher Preparation Programs and the  Educational Leadership and Policy Studies Programs, begin in the Summer Quarter (early June). On rare occasions, students can begin their studies in a different quarter, however, this is arranged on a case-by-case basis only. Students should contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at to explore this option.
What does full-time enrollment mean?
  • Full-time enrollment status in a graduate program is achieved by taking a minimum of 8 credit hours per quarter. However, specific funding may require a student to complete 9 credit hours per quarter.
Are classes offered online?
  • The majority of our classes are offered on campus, however, there are a few courses that are offered either in a blended format (online with some on-campus meeting times) or online. Blackboard is an online tool used by most faculty at DU to provide access to selected course materials, no matter the setting of the class meetings.
How many students are in a typical class?
  • Our average class size is generally between 20 and 25 students, but many classes will have 8 to 10 students.
Why  should you choose Morgridge?
  • At Morgridge, our InContext learning approach means we focus on bringing classroom knowledge and real world experiences together. As part of this commitment, we developed our Curriculum and Instruction programs with flexibility and variety in mind though small classes and a personalized, hands-on approach so you can focus on specific areas of study that fit with your interests and career goals.
  • Because practice is an important part of learning, our program provides you with InContext experiences so you can apply what you are learning to real-world settings and issues:

Developing new interactive educational tools and implement educational programming for local organizations such as the Denver Art Museum and the Denver Zoo

Providing instructional coaching for math teachers at online schools

Partnering in research projects with the Ricks Center for Gifted Children and the Institute for the Development of Gifted Education (IDGE)

Gain hands-on experience in implementing intervention plans for infants, toddlers and pre-school students who have special needs or developmental delays through The Donne and Sue Fisher Early Learning Center, a unique  inclusive early learning center serving the Denver community located in Morgridge College of Education.

Participate in research projects related to very young children with special needs

Begin your field experience from day one at several local public and private partnership schools and agencies


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only


Who is the department chair for HED?

Dr. Bruce Uhrmacher is the Department Chair for HED., 303-871-2483.

When are faculty in their offices?

Every faculty member sets office hours for each term in which they are teaching. However, all of the faculty meet with students outside of their scheduled office hours. Contact the faculty member directly to make an appointment.

How many students do you enroll each year?
  • In the MA program, we typically enroll 20 students per year.
  • In the Ed.D program, we typically enroll 8-10 students per year.
  • In the Ph.D program, we typically enroll 1-3 students per year.
What is unique about the HED program at DU?

While HED is a generalist program in that we prepare future leaders in higher education for a wide variety of positions, our program is uniquely founded on principles of Inclusive Excellence (, wherein inclusion and excellence are understood as one and the same. That is, we cannot have excellence without inclusiveness, and inclusion is a hallmark of excellence. Our core faculty share research, teaching, and practice/policy concerns related to post-secondary access and success.

Even though HED is a generalist program, are certain topics emphasized over others?

The MA program offers three optional emphases:

  • College Student Affairs
  • Diversity and Higher Learning
  • Leadership and Organizational Change
Where do HED students come from?

HED students come from all regions of the U.S. and occasionally from international origins. Over half of all HED students are from outside of Colorado.

What is the difference between the Ed.D and the Ph.D?

There are three primary differences that distinguish the Ed.D and Ph.D programs from each other:

  • The Ed.D is designed to prepare administrative leaders in postsecondary settings. The Ph.D is designed to prepare researchers who investigate postsecondary education concerns.
  • The Ed.D requires 65 credit hours, while the Ph.D requires 90 credit hours of coursework.
  • The Ed.D requires a Doctoral Research Project that is practice-oriented, such as a program evaluation, policy analysis or an action-oriented research study that emphasizes practical implications. The Ph.D requires a traditional dissertation.
What kind of Careers can I achieve after graduation?

Our graduates pursue careers in a variety of professional trajectories affiliated with postsecondary education. Many of our MA graduates become entry- and mid-level administrators in student affairs/services offices, such as residential life and academic advising. Others become emerging leaders in campus diversity affairs offices, such as multicultural centers and equal education opportunity centers (EEOC). Still others join community-based or government agencies and work on important postsecondary education initiatives, like GEAR-UP programs that support early college readiness. Our EdD is designed to prepare you for leadership positions within postsecondary contexts. These might be located at four-year or two-year institutions as the VP of Student Services, the Chief Diversity Officer, or a Director of Academic Affairs. Other leadership opportunities might be found in government or community agencies, such as the Colorado Department of Higher Education. Recent PhD graduates assumed positions as faculty members in other higher education programs, directors of research and assessment in community-based organizations focused on college access and success, and as policy analysts in state agencies and non-profit organizations.

A selection of professional positions secured by recent alumni:
  • Academic Advising Coordinator at Colorado School of Mines in Golden, CO
  • Assessment and Evaluation Manager at Denver Scholarship Foundation in Denver, CO
  • Assistant Professor of Higher Education and Student Affairs at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO
  • Associate Director of College Counseling at Sage Hill School in Los Angeles, CA
  • Dean of Students at Austin Community College in Austin, TX
  • Director of Digital Learning at Australian National University’s College of Asia & the Pacific in Canberra, Australia
  • Director of Intercultural Relations at Lake Forest College in Chicago, IL
  • Director of Research and Advisory Services at World Education Services, in New York, NY
  • Director of Student Life at Skagit Valley College in Seattle, WA
  • Director of the First-Year Experience at The George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
  • Executive Chair at Children in Nature Network-North Texas Region
  • Policy and Outreach Associate at the Institute for Higher Education Policy in Washington, D.C.
  • Research Analyst at the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education in Boulder, CO
  • Resident Director at Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA
  • Senior Academic Advisor at Regent University in Norfolk, VA
  • Tenure-track Faculty Position as an Academic Advisor at the University of Hawaii-Manoa in Honolulu, HI
  • Vice President of Advancement at St. Mary’s College of Maryland in St. Mary’s City, MD

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Learn More About DU and Programs

Can I set up an appointment to visit the campus and discuss program options?
  • Yes. Although not mandatory, we encourage prospective students to see the campus, meet current students, and attend classes. This is probably your best means of getting a feel for our program. To set up a campus visit call the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services at (303) 871-2509 or (800) 835-1607, or email at It is preferable if you would arrange for visits through the Admissions Office and not through individual faculty.
Can I talk to a student from the program?
  • Yes. We encourage prospective students to communicate with current students in order to get the clearest possible picture of graduate life at the University of Denver. We have current Student Ambassadors on hand to meet with prospective students to share their experiences and speak to life in the Morgridge culture.  Contact the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions at to be connected to a Student Ambassador or another current student in your program of interest.

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Applications & Admissions

How important are my GRE scores for admission?
  • Not all programs require a GRE score. In most programs, GRE scores are not the deciding factor for admittance; they are only one of many criteria used for admissions evaluation.
What if I do not have GRE scores? Can I use another test I took?
  • When required for admissions consideration, the GRE is the only test accepted. Regardless of the requirement to submit GRE scores, all international applicants/non-native English speakers are required to submit an official, valid TOEFL score.
From whom should I get letters of recommendation?
  • It is best to obtain letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who know you well. For recent graduates, ask for recommendation letters from former professors that can speak to your academic abilities as well as your character. For individuals entering the program with years of work experience, letters of recommendation from professionals who have seen your ability to work with children, adolescents and/or families are recommended.Most importantly, choose individuals that are knowledgeable about your past experiences as well as your goals for the future, and who know you well enough to adequately discuss your accomplishments and potential.
Is an interview required for admission?
  • Yes, interviews are required as part of the admissions process. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified of the interview dates and location details. If you are unable to come to your in-person interview, you may complete your interview via Skype or phone.  We strongly encourage you to attend the on-campus interview day as it will provide the best opportunity for you to learn about the program, see the campus, meet current students and experience the Morgridge culture for yourself.
What is required for application to Morgridge College of Education?
  • The application materials may include: a completed online application, a 2 to 3 page statement of goals, resume, official transcripts from every higher education institution attended, letters of recommendation (2 for MA, 2 or 3 for PhD, depending upon the program), a $65 application fee, and GRE scores for specific programs (which should be sent directly to the university).
When will I hear about the status of my application?
  • Applicants will receive an email that their application was received by the DU Graduate Studies Admissions Office and will be notified if there is any missing information. Students are encouraged to check on the status of their application materials by emailing Once an application file is complete, the file is sent to the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions to be reviewed by program faculty. Typically, decisions about acceptance into a program are made two to three weeks following the on-campus interview day. To check on admission decisions, you may contact the Morgridge College of Education Admissions office at (303) 871-2509 or (800) 835-1607 or email at
Can I defer my admissions or change my entry term if necessary?
  • Some graduate programs allow deposited students to request a one-time change of admit term to indicate a start term one quarter early or a deferment to the date of his/her intended enrollment for up to one academic year. Contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at for more information about changing your admissions term.

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Waivers & Transfer Credits

Can I transfer credit from an undergraduate class?
  • No, only graduate-level courses can be transferred and the course must have been taken within the last five years and from an accredited program. Transfer credits cannot have been used toward another degree. There is a limit to the number of graduate credits you can transfer into DU based on the degree you are applying to (see below). If it is appropriate to waive a course (e.g. similar course already taken, content knowledge demonstrated, or successful test-out for certain research courses) the course credit hours must still be utilized for another course. A waived course does not mean a reduction in credit hours required. If your undergraduate work is similar in content to a required graduate course, you may be able to waive a required course after a review of the content with your advisor. A waived course allows you to take another graduate course in place of the one we require if you have already taken a course with very similar content. Transfer courses are different than waived courses since they reduce the number of credits you take at DU.
What graduate coursework is accepted as transfer credit?
  • Transferring graduate coursework into DU is discussed on an individual basis with your advisor. If you wish to transfer in comparable graduate-level coursework, you will need to bring in the syllabus, text, other course materials, and you must have an official transcript on file from the institution. The transfer must be initiated through your advisor in the first quarter of your program. The graduate coursework you wish to transfer must be no more than five years old, cannot have been counted toward another degree, and must be transferred in your first quarter of enrollment at the University of Denver. A maximum of 10 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the MA and a maximum of 15 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the EdS, PhD and EdD programs. Graduate coursework that is transferred in will reduce the total number of DU credits you will need to graduate.
Will my graduate coursework for my previous graduate degree count?
  • Credits that have already been applied to a degree cannot be counted again toward another degree. If the credit was not used toward another degree, see above for information on transfer credits. For more information or to discuss your specific situation, contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Internships & Assistantships

Does every student get a paid internship?
  • No, not all internships are paid.  Program faculty will work with you to set up an internship in the community or school of your choice. Some internships are paid and some are not.  All internship sites must meet all program standards and must be approved officially by the Program Chair or designee.
Can I take an internship out of state?
  • Yes. It is possible to complete your internship in another state for most programs; however it does require extra work and planning to ensure that the internship site and supervisor meet our internship requirements. To determine if this is an option for your program, contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at
Does the program arrange for the internship placements?
  • Program faculty help mentor and facilitate the internship placement process, but students generally must apply and be selectedby the organization as interns. Students are required to actively pursue particular internships they desire and complete the interviewing process. All internships must be approved by the program director or designee prior to the beginning of the internship year.
What funding or assistantships are there for graduate students?
  • A variety of types of aid are available for graduate students. A select number of stipends are available for incoming students who are paired with a faculty mentor to conduct research in their area of interest. Advanced students often have the opportunity to obtain stipends for similar work. There are a limited number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Graduate Research Assistantships also available to advanced students in the program that provide some tuition reimbursement as well as monthly stipends.

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Tuition & Financial Aid

What is the cost of tuition?
Will I need to pay out-of-state tuition, or how do I get in-state tuition?
  • The University of Denver is a private institution, thus tuition is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students. For an estimate of yearly costs, visit the Office of Financial Aid.
Are scholarships available?
Is financial aid available?
  • In order to apply for financial aid at the University of Denver, and be considered for federal grants and scholarships, you must have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on file. Federal financial aid is available to qualified students. For information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.Student employment may also be available for graduate students. Financial Aid requires students to be enrolled in a minimum of 4 quarter credit hours in a term.

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Insurance, Immunization, & Housing

What kinds of insurance coverage do graduate students receive?
  • Graduate students have the option of obtaining their own private health insurance or using the health insurance provided by the University of Denver. For specific information regarding the coverage under the University of Denver’s plan, visit the Health and Counseling Center.
What immunizations are required for students?
  • All students must show proof of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization. (CO Revised Statuses 25-4-901 to 909) Students will NOT be able to register for classes without providing this information. Exemptions for medical, religious or personal reasons may be submitted. See the Health and Counseling Center website for more information on immunizations and a link to the Certificate of Immunization form.
What is the cost of housing?
  • Graduate students have the choice to live on or off the University of Denver campus. Information regarding on-campus housing can be found at Housing and Residential Educationand includes information about building options, dining plans, parking and other related information. Off-campus housing information includes links to nearby apartment complexes as well as information about how to find roommates, transportation, childcare, banks and other information regarding living in the area.

Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Copyright © 2018 University of Denver. | All rights reserved. | The University of Denver is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution