Masters of Arts in Higher Education
Our Master of Arts (M.A.) program prepares you for entry-to-mid-level positions in higher education/student affairs administration. Within the program, you can choose to focus your studies on one of three optional emphasis areas:
- College Student Affairs
- Diversity and Higher Learning
- Public Policy and Organizational Change
One of the major benefits of the program is that you will complete multiple real-life praxis projects, beginning in your first year. This research and practical experience is part of your coursework, and will help you develop the skills to be an effective and innovative leader in higher education. You will also have the opportunity to engage in service-learning partnerships with local college access organizations, college success organizations, postsecondary institutions, four-year institutions, and other intermediary organizations.
The program learning outcomes for the Masters of Arts in Higher Education are as follows:
- Students will demonstrate foundational knowledge about higher education as modeled in the core curriculum.
- Students will demonstrate foundational knowledge about their specific interest area(s) (College Student Affairs; Public Policy and Organizational Change; and Diversity and Higher Learning).
- Students will demonstrate a critical understanding of the values of diversity, equity and inclusion as exhibited by Inclusive Excellence and its applications.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply theory to practice.
- Students will be able to connect and integrate materials from the curriculum, co-curriculum, and additional experiences as it relates to their personal and professional interests.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups and/or individuals in diverse settings.
- Students will express their personal and professional growth and development through critical reflection of their experiences in the program.
- Students will demonstrate the development of their personal and professional values.
- Students will demonstrate self-awareness and the strategies needed for continuing professional development.
Graduate Assistantships and Fellows
As an MA student in the Higher Education program (HED), you can apply for graduate assistant and fellowship positions. These positions give priority to incoming first-year students making a two-year commitment. If you are a returning student there are many employment opportunities available at DU or with campus partners for you to explore.
View Open HED Graduate Assistantships and Fellows
In order to be considered for these positions you must have a submitted and completed admissions application. Individuals who do not complete the admissions application will not be considered for graduate assistantship or fellowship opportunities.
To apply for these positions, please follow the specific instructions and adhere to the application deadline listed in the job description.
- Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life Fellow
- Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence First-Generation Initiatives Fellow
- Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence Gender Violence Prevention and Education Fellow
- Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence 1GenU First-Generation Student Support Divisional Fellow
- Graduate Assistant for College and Career Success – Aurora Public Schools
- Graduate Assistant for the Center for Multicultural Engagement and Inclusion – Metropolitan State University of Denver
View Closed HED Graduate Assistantships and Fellows
- Academic Advisor – Daniels College of Business
- Advancement and Alumni Engagement Coordinator – College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence Divisional Fellow
- Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence Divisional Fellow – Discoveries
- Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence Divisional Fellow- Orientation
- Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence Divisional Fellow- Volunteers in Partnership
- Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence Fellow- First-Generation Student Support
- Career Services Fellow
- Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning Assistant
- Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative – Graduate Assistant
- Colorado School of Mines Student Activities Office Graduate Assistant
- Denver Public Schools College Ambassador Advisor
- Fellow for Student Rights & Responsibilities
- First-Year Experience Graduate Intern – University of Colorado, Boulder
- Fraternity and Sorority Life House Director
- Gender Violence Prevention and Education Fellow
- Graduate Assistant Coordinator for Inclusive Excellence – Community College of Aurora
- Graduate Assistant for BACCHUS Initiatives of NASPA
- Graduate Assistant for Culture, Access, and Transitions
- Graduate Assistant for Health, Safety, and Well-Being Initiatives with NASPA
- Graduate Assistant for Housing and Residential Education
- Graduate Assistant for Leadership — Community College of Aurora
- Graduate Assistant for Office of Inclusive Excellence Student Success and Leadership Development
- Graduate Assistant for Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Graduate Assistant for the Daniels Professional Development Program
- Graduate Assistant for the Office of Student Engagement
- Graduate Assistant for the Student Success Center – Community College of Aurora
- Graduate Assistantship – Gender and Sexuality Center – CU Boulder
- Graduate Assistantship – Hallett Multicultural Perspectives Program – CU Boulder
- Graduate Assistantship – New Student Orientation, Family and Special Programs Support – Metropolitan State University
- Graduate Assistantship – Office of Health Promotion – CU Boulder
- Graduate Assistant – Peer Health Education Supervisor
- Graduate Assistantship – Student Success and Leadership Development
- Graduate Assistantship – Student Support Case Management – CU Boulder
- Graduate Assistantship for Non-Traditional Greek Life – CU Denver
- Graduate Assistantship for Student Life – Community College of Aurora
- Graduate Assistantship for Student Organizations
- Graduate Case Manager for Student Outreach & Support
- Graduate Coordinator for DU DialogUes programs
- Graduate Fellowship – Off Campus Housing
- Graduate Intern for Internship Advising – CU Denver
- Graduate Student Development Lead – Center for Sustainability
- House Director for Alpha Phi
- House Director for Zeta Beta Tau
- Housing and Residential Education Desk Manager
- IE Fellow Inclusive Excellence Educational Programs
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow for Health Promotion
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow for Inclusive Excellence in Natural Science and Mathematics
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow for Parent & Family Engagement
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow for the Center for Judaic Studies
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow for Undergraduate Student Success
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow – First-Generation Initiatives
- Inclusive Excellence Fellow – Graduate Student Activities
- Inclusive Excellence Fellowship – Assistant to the Associate Vice Chancellor
- Inclusive Excellence Fellowship – First-Generation Parent and Family Engagement
- Inclusive Excellence Fellowship – Graduate Student Success
- Inclusive Excellence Fellowship – Native American Community Partnerships and Programs
- International Student and Scholar Services Programming Assistant
- Metro State Prevention Education Intern
- Off-Campus Housing Fellow
- Orientation, Transition, and Retention Fellow – Metropolitan State University
- Postsecondary Coach Denver Public Schools
- Special Events and Social Media Coordinator
- Student Life Fellow for Career Services
- Student Life Graduate Assistantship for Student Conduct
- Student-Athlete Support Services Internship
- Transfer Student Success Graduate Internship at MSU Denver
NOTE: Preference for all positions will be given to incoming Higher Education M.A. students.
You’ll need to complete 50-quarter credit hours. You must also complete a Capstone project and an internship. Examples of previous internship locations include:
- University of Denver Offices of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence
- Inclusive Excellence Fellows – a unique program that places Higher Education students across campus to work on diversity and social justice related concerns in academic and administrative units
- Locally headquartered policy organizations, including the Education Commission of the States
- Local post-secondary institutions, including Community College of Aurora, Colorado School of Mines, and the Auraria Campus in Downtown Denver
Approximate Completion Time