When does the program start? Can I begin anytime?

Students can start the SchoolCounseling@Denver program each quarter (or four times per academic year).


What does full-time enrollment mean?

Full-time enrollment status in a graduate program is achieved by taking a minimum of 8 credit hours per quarter.


Do I have to enroll as a full-time student?

It is highly advised to be a full-time student to follow the coursework sequence. Additionally, much of the financial aid offered to graduate students stipulates full-time enrollment. However, part-time course sequences are available.


Can I enroll in this program part time?

Yes. Part-time course sequences are available. However, be advised that some financial aid options may stipulate full-time enrollment. Additionally, matriculation requirements will require students to graduate within a specified time period. Please refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and/or School Counseling handbook for more information.


Are classes offered online?

Yes. The SchoolCounseling@Denver program is a completely online program.


Can I take class on-campus?

No. The SchoolCounseling@Denver program is completely online and no courses are offered on-campus.


How many students are in a typical class?

The SchoolCounseling@Denver program class sizes will most likely range between 8 and 15 students. For experiential learning courses such as practicum and internship, class sizes will average around 8 students. For other non-experiential learning courses, class sizes will average between 12 to 15 students.


Can I select my own faculty advisor?

Faculty Advisors are assigned to students by the Academic Services Associate and done so in a manner that maintains equitable advising loads across core faculty. If you have a strong preference, you can reach out to the Program Director and the program Academic Services Associate and they will consider your preferences in the assignments. We will do our best to accommodate your request, but not all requests can be honored.


Admissions Contact


What kind of careers can I pursue with this degree?

Graduates of the SchoolCounseling@Denver program are prepared to serve P-12 students within elementary, middle or high school settings. To learn more, visit the SchoolCounseling@Denver program webpage and locate the “Building a Career as a School Counselor” section.


Does this program lead to licensure in the state of Colorado?

The SchoolCounseling@Denver program fulfills the academic eligibility requirements for Colorado state licensure as a school counselor. According to a revision of the CO Educator Licensing Act in 2016 (, students applying for a school counselor license in the state of Colorado after July 1st, 2021 must graduate from a CACREP accredited program. The 72-credit Master of Arts in School Counseling program from The Morgridge College of Education is designed to adhere to the 2016 standards set by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational programs (CACREP). Accreditation from CACREP will be sought when the program becomes eligible to apply in the fall of 2020.

If the SchoolCounseling@Denver program is still pursuing CACREP accreditation when a student graduates, the student can apply for a one-year emergency authorization through the Colorado Department of Education in order to work as a school counselor. Requirements of said emergency authorization can be found here: The emergency authorization can be renewed one time for an additional year. Requirements for renewing an emergency authorization can be found here:

When the SchoolCounseling@Denver program receives official CACREP accreditation, students working as school counselors under an emergency authorization will need to complete the requirements for a Colorado Initial Special Services Provider Licensure. Requirements for initial licensure can be found here:


Will I be able to obtain a license in another state after receiving my degree in Colorado?

Licensing requirements vary from state to state. Check with the licensing board for the state you are interested in. Some states may require specific classes, exams, or degrees for licensure that are not required for Colorado.


How can I be involved in faculty research?

All SchoolCounseling@Denver program faculty are very active in their research interests. For a description of faculty members and their research interests, see the Faculty section. Faculty always welcome student interest and participation, and are often looking for members of ongoing research discussion groups. Students interested in pursuing formal research opportunities should contact a faculty member if they would like to be considered for a research team.


Is this program accredited?

The 72-credit Master of Arts in School Counseling program from the Morgridge College of Education is designed to adhere to the 2016 standards set by CACREP. Only CACREP has the authority to determine which programs do and do not meet their standards. The program intends to submit an application for CACREP accreditation in fall 2020.


Is there a place online with a complete list of classes that are required for students to take?

All degree requirements are in the coursework plans posted on our website in the Handbooks section for the current academic year. For coursework plans from previous or future years, please contact the program Academic Services Associate.


What days and times are classes typically offered?

Currently, SchoolCounseling@Denver program live sessions typically occur in the evenings. Course offerings may be adjusted in the future to accommodate program needs.


Admissions Contact


What is the age/education demographic of the average student who applies to this program?

We have a wide variety of applicants based on experience, age, and education. Many applicants enter the program directly out of undergrad, while some applicants are changing career paths after working in another field or entering the workforce anew. One of the core principles of our program is inclusive excellence and diversity, which includes diversity of thought and experience. We find that a student body that has varied experiences contributes to the depth of knowledge in class and to an inclusive environment in general.


What is required for application to Morgridge College of Education?

Please see the specific admissions requirements for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program here.


Are there prerequisite courses that I need to take before gaining admission?

No. The SchoolCounseling@Denver program does not have any prerequisite courses that need to be taken prior to admission.


From whom should I get letters of recommendation?

It is best to obtain letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who know you well. For recent graduates, ask for recommendation letters from former professors that can speak to your academic abilities as well as your character. For individuals entering the program with years of work experience, letters of recommendation from professionals who have seen your ability to work with children, adolescents and/or families are recommended. Most importantly, choose individuals that are knowledgeable about your past experiences as well as your goals for the future, and who know you well enough to adequately discuss your accomplishments and potential.


How important are my GRE scores for admission?

GRE scores are not required for admission to the SchoolCounseling@Denver program. Please see the specific admissions requirements for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program here.


Do I need a bachelor’s or master’s degree to apply to the program?

For the master’s SchoolCounseling@Denver program, a bachelor’s degree is required. Additionally, we consider applicants with bachelor’s degrees from all educational backgrounds (i.e., related previous degree not required). Please see the specific admissions requirements for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program here.


Is an interview required for admission?

No, an interview is not required as part of the SchoolCounseling@Denver program admissions process. Please see the specific admissions requirements for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program here.


When will I hear about the status of my application?

Applicants will receive an email that their application was received and will be notified if there is any missing information. Students are encouraged to check on the status of their application materials by emailing Once an application is complete, the file is sent to the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions to be reviewed by program faculty. Typically, decisions about acceptance into a program are made one to two weeks following application completion. To check on the status of your admission decision, you may contact the Morgridge College of Education Admissions office at 855.830.9104 or


Can I defer my admissions or change my entry term if necessary?

Some graduate programs allow deposited students to request a one-time change of admit term to indicate a start term one quarter early or a deferment to the date of his/her intended enrollment for up to one academic year. Contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at for more information about changing your admissions term.


Admissions Contact


Can I transfer credit from an undergraduate class?

No, only graduate-level courses can be transferred. Refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and School Counseling Handbook for more information.


Will I be able to waive a course based on previous undergraduate coursework?

In some cases, yes. If your undergraduate work is similar in content to a required graduate course, you may be able to waive a required course after a review of the content with your faculty advisor.  If it is appropriate to waive a course (e.g. similar course already taken, content knowledge demonstrated, or successful test-out for certain research courses) the course credit hours must still be utilized for another course. A waived course does not mean a reduction in credit hours required. A waived course allows you to take another graduate course in place of the one we require if you have already taken a course with very similar content. Transfer courses are different than waived courses since they reduce the number of credits you take at DU. Refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and School Counseling Handbook for more information.


What graduate coursework is accepted as transfer credit?

Transferring graduate coursework into DU is discussed on an individual basis with your faculty advisor. If you wish to transfer in comparable graduate-level coursework, you will need to bring in the syllabus, text, other course materials, and you must have an official transcript on file from the institution. The transfer must be initiated through your faculty advisor in the first quarter of your program. The graduate coursework you wish to transfer must be no more than five years old and cannot have been counted toward another degree. A maximum of 10 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the MA and a maximum of 15 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the EdS, PhD and EdD programs. Graduate coursework that is transferred in will reduce the total number of DU credits you will need to graduate. Refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and School Counseling Handbook for more information.


Will my graduate coursework for my previous graduate degree count?

Credits that have already been applied to a degree cannot be counted again toward another degree. If the credit was not used toward another degree, see above for information on transfer credits. Refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and School Counseling Handbook for more information.


Will I be able to waive a course based on previous graduate coursework?

Some graduate courses that you have taken in the past 5 years with a grade of B or above can be waived with documentation that you’ve already taken a similar course. Waiving a course does not give you the credits but allows you to use those credits to take a different course. To have a course waived with previous graduate coursework, you should speak with your faculty advisor and provide syllabi with which to compare course content and your program Academic Service Associate for the necessary forms. Refer to the DU Graduate Bulletin and School Counseling Handbook for more information.


Admissions Contact


Are practicum and internship required for this program?

Yes, the SchoolCounseling@Denver program requires that students complete a practicum (one quarter, 100 hours) and internship (two quarters, 600 hours total).


Does the program arrange for practicum and internship placements?

The SchoolCounseling@Denver program provides a placement service that supports students throughout the practicum and internship placement process. Students work closely with a Placement Specialist who works to identify a qualified, program-approved site(s) in or near the student’s community at which students will complete their practicum and internship. Should students want to identify their own practicum and internship; the Placement Team can support students through the Referral Process, in which students submit qualified referrals for specific sites who have expressed interest in hosting an intern. Should students have a specific interest, travel restriction, or schedule accommodation; submitting referrals that can meet these needs and interests is a great way to secure a placement that suits students’ preferences. Remember, all practicum and internships are subject to the approval of the Program.

The Placement Process for SchoolCounseling@Denver can take up to 120 days from start to finish. Students can expect to hear from their Placement Specialist about 120 days prior to the quarter in which students are scheduled to start placement. During this initial conversation, students will learn more about the placement process, referral process, placement policies, and will have an opportunity to ask questions about placement.


What types of practicum and internship placements are available?

The Placement Team for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program works to place students in schools within the student’s community. The Placement Team develops affiliations with schools throughout the United States, from rural communities to more urban settings. Note that students will traditionally complete their Practicum and Internship at the same location, providing students with the opportunity to become integrated within the school over three academic quarters. However, we understand that your state may require placement to occur at different types of location (ex. elementary and secondary). Placement at more than one site can be accommodated if needed.


What are standard practicum and internship hours?

Practicum and internship sites will vary in their availability. The majority of our students complete their practicum and internship during weekly business hours during the traditional school year (e.g. September to June), but your exact schedule will be dependent on the site. The contract that you and your site supervisor sign should clearly dictate your schedule and the times that you must be available to the site. If your current schedule dictates that you complete field hours outside of regular business, you will need to find a site that has the ability to accommodate your schedule, and ensure that there are enough hours of direct client contact and supervision hours available during the times that you are there. The SchoolCounseling@Denver Placement Team works to identify schools with availability between the hours of 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Again, should students need a practicum and/or internship that can accommodate hours beyond this timeframe; they are highly encouraged to submit referrals. Students will complete their Practicum over one academic quarter for roughly 10 hours per week for a total of 100 hours. Internship will take place over two academic quarters, for roughly 30 hours per week for a total of 300 hours for Internship I, and 300 hours for Internship II.


What should I do to prepare for my practicum and internship placement?

We understand that adding Practicum and Internship to your schedule can be a big shift in your day-to-day. To prepare, we suggest talking to your current employer (if applicable) about how your schedule might change once placement begins. Your Student Success Advisor is also available to discuss time management strategies and tips for how to navigate classes, placement, homework, family obligations, and maintaining balance in your life.

If you are interested in submitting a referral, we suggest starting to research potential schools to submit to the Placement Team. The Placement Team is available to discuss the referral process, best practices, and suggestions for how to speak with potential placement sites.

Should you have any questions about the placement process, please email and the Placement Team would be glad to assist.


Admissions Contact


What is the cost of tuition?

Tuition costs for the SchoolCounseling@Denver program can be found here.


Will I need to pay out-of-state tuition, or how do I get in-state tuition?

The University of Denver is a private institution, thus tuition is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students.


Are scholarships available?

For more information on financial aid, please visit the SchoolCounseling@Denver Tuition and Financial Aid webpage.


Is financial aid available?

For more information on financial aid, please visit the SchoolCounseling@Denver Tuition and Financial Aid webpage.


Is it possible to work full-time while pursuing this program?

Each student’s circumstance will be different. It is possible to work full-time while enrolled in the program. However, when a student reaches the experiential learning phase of the program, working full-time may become challenging. We suggest consulting with your admissions counselor for more information.


Admissions Contact


What kinds of insurance coverage do graduate students receive?

Graduate students have the option of obtaining their own private health insurance or using the health insurance provided by the University of Denver. For specific information regarding the coverage under the University of Denver’s plan, visit the Health and Counseling Center.


What immunizations are required for students?

All students must show proof of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization. (CO Revised Statuses 25-4-901 to 909). Exemptions for medical, religious or personal reasons may be submitted. See the Health and Counseling Center website for more information on immunizations and a link to the Certificate of Immunization form.


What is the cost of housing?

Graduate students have the choice to live on or off the University of Denver campus. Information regarding on-campus housing can be found at Housing and Residential Education and includes information about building options, dining plans, parking and other related information. Off-campus housing information includes links to nearby apartment complexes as well as information about how to find roommates, transportation, childcare, banks and other information regarding living in the area.


Can I set up an appointment to visit the campus and discuss program options?

Yes. Although not mandatory, we encourage prospective students to see the campus, meet current students, and connect with faculty to get the clearest picture possible of graduate life at the University of Denver.

  • To set up a campus visit please contact the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions at (303) 871-2509 or email at
  • To set up a meeting with a current student please contact the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions at (303) 871-2509 or email at
  • To schedule a meeting with a faculty member, please contact the faculty member directly. Prospective students can find SchoolCounseling@Denver faculty contact information within the faculty section.
Copyright © 2018 University of Denver. | All rights reserved. | The University of Denver is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution