Student Loans

An education is one of the best long-term investments you can make in your future, and borrowing is one way to fund that investment. With careful planning, a loan can be a smart decision for you and your family, as many educational loans have more favorable terms than other consumer loans (such as car loans or credit cards). However, since all loans must be repaid, you should only borrow what you need.

Learn more about available student loans:

All federal financial aid is managed by the central DU Office of Financial Aid, located in University Hall Room 255.

For assistance with your federal financial aid, contact a Graduate Financial Aid Advisor at (303)871-4020 or


Student Loan Repayment


Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education TEACH Grant Program that provides substantial grants to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students and teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.

Loan Forgiveness Program for Teachers

The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, individuals who teach full- time for five consecutive, complete academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools that serve low-income families and meet other qualifications may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 in principal and interest on their FFEL and/or Direct Loan program loans.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. Learn more.

Work Study

Work-study is a need-based financial aid award that allows you to work on campus (or with an approved off-campus employer) to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. It’s not a grant (because you must work to earn it), and it’s not a loan (because you don’t have to repay it). You can only apply for work-study positions if you have this award as a part of your financial aid package and you must be enrolled at least half-time (4 credits) to use it. If you were not awarded work-study, visit Student Employment for other job opportunities.

To learn more about DU work-study visit the DU website.

Student Employment

Find a job on or off campus.

Employer Tuition Benefits

You may be eligible for employer tuition benefits through your company or organization. Please contact your Human Resources department for more information. CU employees, spouses or dependents may be eligible for a tuition waiver.

Military Benefits

If you, your spouse or parent is currently serving in the military or is a veteran, you may quality for military benefits.

Applying for Federal Financial Aid

To be eligible for grants, scholarships, loans, or student employment positions at Morgridge College of Education, you must complete the following steps:


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For admitted and current students, contact:

STEP 1: Apply for admission to the Morgridge College of Education

You must be admitted to the University to be eligible for student loan awards. It is recommended that you begin the FAFSA process prior to receiving your admissions decision (see the steps below). Grants, scholarships, student loans, and student employment positions will not be awarded until you have been formally admitted and completed all of the following steps.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

STEP 2: Apply for a U.S. Department of Education PIN

Apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN through the Federal Student Aid office of the U.S. Department of Education.

Learn more about your Federal Student Aid PIN


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

STEP 3: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

You will need to complete the FAFSA each year of enrollment in your degree program. The new FAFSA forms for the following academic year are available on January 1 each year. To apply, you will need your PIN from Step 2. The school code for the University of Denver is 001371. Priority consideration deadline is March 15th for all federal aid however, you may submit your FAFSA after that deadline.  High-need based aid (Work-Study) may not be available after the priority deadline.

Be sure to review all deadlines to make sure you submit applications on time.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

STEP 4: Receive a Student Aid Report (SAR)

If you have applied for a PIN, you can view the SAR online through the FAFSA website. Review your SAR for accuracy and make any necessary corrections.

Learn more about Student Aid Reports (SAR)


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

STEP 5: Accept your financial aid award

The Office of Financial Aid will use the information on your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for financial assistance (loans) and student employment.

Once this process is complete, you will be notified via email that your award can be viewed online with instructions for reviewing your award. You must accept or decline the awards offered to you online.

You may be selected for verification of the information reported on the FAFSA by the Department of Education (your SAR will indicate you have been selected).  The Office of Financial Aid will contact you by email to notify you of the additional information needed. If selected, additional documentation is required to be turned into the University before determining your aid eligibility and disbursing any funds.


For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

STEP 6: Plan ahead and think long-term

Applying for financial aid is easier than it seems, but it is important that you submit all of the required forms and meet all the deadlines.

Here are some additional tips that will maximize your chances of securing assistance:

  • Ask questions. The Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions and the University Office of Financial Aid staff are available to answer your inquiries and direct you to on- and off-campus resources.
  • File your federal tax forms as early in the year as possible, remembering that you can estimate your income and taxes for the prior year.
  • Make sure that your application to the Morgridge College of Education is complete. The earlier you submit all of your paperwork, the better your chances of tapping into all sources of aid.
  • Be sure to review the financial aid information on the Morgridge College of Education’s website and pursue any types of funding that may apply to you.
  • Determine if you are eligible for an employer reimbursement or tuition waiver through the company or organization where you work. Some employers may provide partial or full tuition reimbursement to employees or dependents. Check with your Human Resources department to see if your employer offers these benefits. The Bursar’s Office can set up deferred payments for students who will have all or a portion of their bill paid by an employer. For questions about eligibility for DU employee tuition waivers, please contact the Office of Human Resources.

For prospective students, contact: Admissions Office
For current students, contact:

Copyright © 2018 University of Denver. | All rights reserved. | The University of Denver is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution