What does a School Psychologist do?

Graduates of the DU School Psychology program are prepared to serve P-12 students within elementary, middle or high school settings. To learn more, visit the National Association of School Psychologists website, or the varying degree programs within School Psychology. It is also helpful to read the prominent journals in the field including School Psychology Review, School Psychology Quarterly, Journal of School Psychology, and Psychology in the Schools. Another great way to understand the role of a school psychologist is to contact a practitioner in your community and ask to meet with him or her.


Does this program lead to licensure in the state of Colorado?

Dependent on the degree, graduates from this program are eligible to pursue national certification from the National Association of School Psychologists and licensure as a school psychologist or psychologist in the state of Colorado. The University of Denver has not yet determined whether the program meets licensure requirements in a state other than Colorado or in any U.S. protectorates. For students seeking licensure in a state other than Colorado, students should contact the state’s Department of Education to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements.


Will I be able to work as a school psychologist in other states if I leave Colorado?

Typically. Our programs provide a broad view of service delivery that prepares students to work nationally and internationally. Licensing requirements vary by state. Students should contact the Department of Education in the state they wish to practice in order to find out the necessary licensing qualifications.


What is an EdS degree?

The EdS degree is a specialist-level degree within the field of school psychology. It is the practicing degree required for School Psychology practitioners in Colorado and most other states. You can get more information on the EdS degree by visiting the National Association of School Psychologists website.


What criteria are considered for acceptance to the School Psychology program?

Please refer to the specific degree program for broad admissions criteria. 


If I have a degree from outside of psychology, will that reduce my chance of being accepted?

No. The School Psychology program welcomes individuals with unique backgrounds to bring different perspectives to the program. However, depending on the degree you hold, you may have to take some additional coursework. Even with a degree outside of psychology, many students find that they have prior experiences that relate to the field they are pursuing.


How many students will you be accepting and do you have an estimate of how many people will be applying?

The number of applications we receive from year to year varies; however, on average we typically receive 200 to 400 applications per year between the MA, EdS and PhD programs. From this, 45 to 55 students secure spots in the four different degree programs.


When does the program start? Can I begin anytime?

School Psychology programs begin each year in Fall Quarter that is typically the first or second week of September.


Are classes offered online?

The majority of our classes are offered on campus, however, there are a few courses that are offered in a blended format (online with some on-campus meeting times). Canvas is an online tool used by most faculty at DU to provide access to selected course materials, no matter the setting of the class meetings.


How can I be involved in faculty research?

All School Psychology program faculty have active research agendas. For a description of faculty members and their research interests, see the Faculty section. MA and Doctoral students are required to engage in faculty research. Faculty always welcome student interest and participation, and are often looking for members of ongoing vertical research teams. EdS students interested in pursuing formal research opportunities should contact a faculty member if they would like to be considered for a research team.


Does every student get a paid internship?

No.  As it turns out, many internship experiences are not paid. However, EdS and PhD Licensure students are required to identify and secure an internship that meets the criteria for their degree level.


Can I take an internship out of state?

Yes. It is possible to complete your internship in another state; however the internship experience must be approved by the Director of Clinical Training and/or Director of Field Experiences, meet the requirements specified in the handbook, internship syllabus, and the field experiences manual.


Does the program arrange for the internship placements?

Program faculty help mentor and support the internship placement process. Students must take a proactive approach to identifying internship application requirements and dates as well as completing the application materials. PhD licensure students are encouraged to work closely with their advisors to identify appropriate APA/APPIC approved internships.


What kinds of internship placements are there?

There are internship placements available in public and private schools and alternative schools, community or home-based agencies, public and private hospitals and clinics, settings depending on the degree program. Specific sites must be approved by the Director of Clinical Training and/or Director of Field Experiences.


What funding or assistantships are there for graduate students?

A variety of types of aid are available for graduate students in the School Psychology program. A select number of stipends are available for incoming students who are paired with a faculty mentor to conduct research in their area of interest. Advanced students often have the opportunity to obtain stipends for similar work. There are a limited number of Graduate Teaching Assistantships and Graduate Research Assistantships also available to advanced students in the program that provide some tuition reimbursement as well as monthly stipends. Scholarship money is also available on a yearly basis to students in the program that apply and have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)form on file. Lastly, federal financial aid is available. For information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.


Do I have to come as a full-time student?

For the EdS degrees and PhD – Licensure degrees, it highly advised to be a full-time student in order to follow the coursework sequence in a timely manner.

Students who do not wish to be enrolled full time should discuss this with their advisor so they are aware of the implications on their progress toward degree completion. Additionally, much of the financial aid offered to graduate students stipulates full-time enrollment.


If I come to get my MA or EdS in your program, will I be able to go on for a doctorate?

MA or EdS students from the School Psychology program does not automatically result in admittance into the PhD programs. However, students who show interest in pursuing a PhD, demonstrate success in their coursework, and are engaged in scholarly and research pursuits, are encouraged to apply.


Is your program approved by NASP or accredited by APA?

Our EdS degree is accredited by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). The PhD – Licensure degree is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) and NASP.


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Learn more about DU and Programs

Can I set up an appointment to visit the campus and discuss program options?

Yes. Although not mandatory, we encourage prospective students to see the campus, meet current students and faculty, and attend classes. Again, this is part of the onsite interview day and probably your best means of getting a feel for our program. If that is not an option, call the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services at 303-871-2509 or 800-835-1607, or email at, and they will help you plan your visit. You must arrange for visits through the Admissions Office and not through individual faculty.


Can I talk to a student from the program?

Yes. We encourage prospective students to communicate with current students in order to get the clearest possible picture of graduate life at the University of Denver. We have current Student Ambassadors on hand to meet with prospective students to share their experiences and speak to life in the Morgridge culture. Contact the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions at mce@du.eduto be connected to a Student Ambassador or another current student in your program of interest.


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Application & Admission

How important are my GRE scores for admission?

Not all programs require a GRE score. In most programs, GRE scores are not the deciding factor for admittance; they are only one of many criteria used for admissions evaluation.


What if I do not have GRE scores? Can I use another test I took?

 When required for admissions consideration, the GRE is the only test accepted. Regardless of the requirement to submit GRE scores, all international applicants/non-native English speakers are required to submit an official, valid TOEFL score.


From whom should I get letters of recommendation?

It is best to obtain letters of recommendation from professors or professionals who know you well. For recent graduates, ask for recommendation letters from former professors that can speak to your academic abilities as well as your character. For individuals entering the program with years of work experience, letters of recommendation from professionals who have seen your ability to work with children, adolescents and/or families are recommended. Most importantly, choose individuals that are knowledgeable about your past experiences as well as your goals for the future, and who know you well enough to adequately discuss your accomplishments and potential.


Is an interview required for admission?

Yes, interviews are required as part of the admissions process. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified of the interview dates and location details. If you are unable to come to your in-person interview, you may complete your interview via Skype or phone.  We strongly encourage you to attend the on-campus interview day as it will provide the best opportunity for you to learn about the program, see the campus, meet current students and experience the Morgridge culture for yourself.


What is required for application to Morgridge College of Education?

Please refer to the specific degree program for broad admissions criteria.


When will I hear about the status of my application?

Applicants will receive an email that their application was received by the DU Graduate Studies Admissions Office and will be notified if there is any missing information. Students are encouraged to check on the status of their application materials by emailing  Once an application file is complete, the file is sent to the Morgridge College of Education Office of Admissions to be reviewed by program faculty. Typically, decisions about acceptance into a program are made two to three weeks following the on-campus interview day. To check on admission decisions, you may contact the Morgridge College of Education Admissions office at (303) 871-2509 or (800) 835-1607 or email at


Can I defer my admissions or change my entry term if necessary?

Some graduate programs allow deposited students to request a one-time change of admit term to indicate a start term one quarter early or a deferment to the date of his/her intended enrollment for up to one academic year. Contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at for more information about changing your admissions term.


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Waivers & Transfer Credits

Can I transfer credit from an undergraduate class?

No, only graduate-level courses can be transferred and the course must have been taken within the last five years and from an accredited program. Transfer credits cannot have been used toward another degree. There is a limit to the number of graduate credits you can transfer into DU based on the degree you are applying to (see below). If it is appropriate to waive a course (e.g. similar course already taken, content knowledge demonstrated, or successful test-out for certain research courses) the course credit hours must still be utilized for another course. A waived course does not mean a reduction in credit hours required. If your undergraduate work is similar in content to a required graduate course, you may be able to waive a required course after a review of the content with your advisor. A waived course allows you to take another graduate course in place of the one we require if you have already taken a course with very similar content. Transfer courses are different than waived courses since they reduce the number of credits you take at DU.


What graduate coursework is accepted as transfer credit?

Transferring graduate coursework into DU is discussed on an individual basis with your advisor. If you wish to transfer in comparable graduate-level coursework, you will need to bring in the syllabus, text, other course materials, and you must have an official transcript on file from the institution. The transfer must be initiated through your advisor in the first quarter of your program. The graduate coursework you wish to transfer must be no more than five years old, cannot have been counted toward another degree, and must be transferred in your first quarter of enrollment at the University of Denver. A maximum of 10 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the MA and a maximum of 15 quarter hour credits may be transferred into the EdS, PhD and EdD programs. Graduate coursework that is transferred in will reduce the total number of DU credits you will need to graduate.


Will my graduate coursework for my previous graduate degree count?

Credits that have already been applied to a degree cannot be counted again toward another degree. If the credit was not used toward another degree, see above for information on transfer credits. For more information or to discuss your specific situation, contact the Morgridge Office of Admissions at


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Tuition & Financial Aid

What is the cost of tuition?

The current graduate credit costs can be found at the Office of the Registrar: Tuition and Fees. 


Will I need to pay out-of-state tuition, or how do I get in-state tuition?

The University of Denver is a private institution, thus tuition is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students. For an estimate of yearly costs, visit the Office of Financial Aid.


Are scholarships available?

Scholarships are available on a yearly basis to students (you must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on file). Contact the Morgridge College of Education Admissions office at (303) 871-2509 or (800) 835-1607 or email at for more information.


Is financial aid available?

In order to apply for financial aid at the University of Denver, and be considered for federal grants and scholarships, you must have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on file. Federal financial aid is available to qualified students. For information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid. Student employment may also be available for graduate students. Financial Aid requires students to be enrolled in a minimum of 4 quarter credit hours in a term


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Insurance, Immunization, & Housing

What kinds of insurance coverage do graduate students receive?

Graduate students have the option of obtaining their own private health insurance or using the health insurance provided by the University of Denver. For specific information regarding the coverage under the University of Denver’s plan, visit the Health and Counseling Center.


What immunizations are required for students?

All students must show proof of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization. (CO Revised Statuses 25-4-901 to 909). Exemptions for medical, religious or personal reasons may be submitted. See the Health and Counseling Center website for more information on immunizations and a link to the Certificate of Immunization form.


What is the cost of housing?

Graduate students have the choice to live on or off the University of Denver campus. Information regarding on-campus housing can be found at Housing and Residential Education and includes information about building options, dining plans, parking and other related information. Off-campus housing information includes links to nearby apartment complexes as well as information about how to find roommates, transportation, childcare, banks and other information regarding living in the area.


Admissions Contact
303-871-2509, KRH 110
Office Hours: By appointment only

Copyright © 2018 University of Denver. | All rights reserved. | The University of Denver is an equal opportunity affirmative action institution