Master of Arts in Early Childhood Special Education
Our Master of Arts (M.A.) program prepares you to apply for licensure to work with young children with disabilities and special needs. Develop the knowledge and practical skills needed to work successfully with inclusive Early Childhood Education (ECE) programs. You will be able to teach and support children aged birth to eight years in a variety of settings and collaborative teams.
What makes our program special is our hands-on approach. You will immediately put what you are learning into practice by working directly with children and their families. You will do this at Fisher Early Learning Center, DU’s highly regarded early learning center for children aged birth to five years, as well as at other community agencies that serve young children.
This experience, combined with comprehensive coursework and small class sizes, offers an exceptional learning environment. You will leave our program prepared to teach, innovate, and lead—and make a difference not only in the early childhood special education field, but in the lives of your students too.
The program learning outcomes for the Masters of Arts in Early Childhood Special Education are as follows:
- Value inclusive excellence and demonstrate a commitment to education as an essential part of every community.
- Use data to drive, reflect, and grow your practice, and utilize evidence-based practices.
- Utilize a family-centered and ecological approach to intervention for children and families.
- Understand and use the latest research and technology to improve educational efforts on behalf of all learners.
- Understand 21st Century learning skills as they relate to the development and learning of young children.
You’ll need to complete 55-quarter credit hours. You must also:
- Complete 600 hours of practicum
- Participate in field experience embedded in coursework
- Successfully pass the PRAXIS II Elementary Education Exam or PLACE Exam
Upon completion of the program, you can apply for an initial license or added endorsement for Early Childhood Special Education Specialist through the Colorado Department of Education (CDE).
Approximate Completion Time